PICTURE BY: EMRYS OSEI JNR

Preliminary investigations have revealed that the fatal stampede at the Asawase Community Centre that claimed nine lives Thursday dawn, was sparked by a meter that caught fire in the midst of the jam.

Nine people died in Ghana’s second city, Kumasi, Ashanti region following a stampede at a party to mark the end of Ramadan. The injured were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

The Asokore Mampong Municipal Chief Executive, Nurudeen Hamidan, in an interview with Citi News revealed that the fire from the meter sparked the stampede.

“Just when they were about to leave the scene…the electricity meter in the premise sparked. You know when electricity meter sparks, it makes noise, some of them misconstrued the noise to be a gunshot and so they started agitating and they started rushing out of the premises. In the process, the stampede happened.

“The stampede actually happened outside the community center. You know when you come out of the centre, there is a small drain, that collects water from the roofing sheet, and you know in the night, when the meter sparked, obviously the lights go off. So, in the process, some of them fell, and people run over them and that caused the stampede,” he explained further.

Meanwhile, six people who were hospitalized as a result of the stampede have been treated and discharged. According to Ultimate FM’s Julius Caeser the injured persons were released Friday morning.

A mass burial has also been held for the nine people who died in the stampede at Asawase. The victims which included 6 females and 3 males.

Advertisements